Many patients have a combination of back pain, leg pain, leg numbness and weakness. These symptoms can be distressing for you but don’t necessarily require emergency medical attention.
However, a rare but serious back condition, Cauda Equina Syndrome, can lead to permanent damage or disability if not treated quickly. If you have the condition you will need to be seen by an Emergency Specialist Spinal Team.
Cauda Equina Syndrome Warning Signs
If you have any of the below symptoms, seek help immediately by attending A&E or calling 111.
- Loss of feeling / pins and needles between your inner thighs or genitals
- Numbness in or around your back passage or buttocks
- Altered feeling when using toilet paper to wipe yourself
- Increasing difficulty when you try to urinate
- Increasing difficulty when you try to stop or control your flow of urine
- Loss of sensation when you pass urine
- Leaking urine or recent need to use pads
- Not knowing when your bladder is ether full or empty
- Inability to stop a bowel movement or leaking
- Loss of sensation when you pass a bowel motion
- Change in ability to achieve an erection or ejaculate
- Loss of sensation in genitals during sexual intercourse
The above information can also be downloaded as a pdf here
This information in other languages:
Last modified: July 26, 2022