Drink Spiking and Needle Spiking

What is Spiking

Spiking is giving someone alcohol or drugs without them knowing or agreeing. For example, in their drink or with a needle. You can find help about how to protect yourself on a night out here.

What to do if you think you have been spiked

Tell someone

Spiking someone is against the law. We encourage anyone who knows or thinks they have been spiked to report the incident to the police immediately. You can call the police on 101 if it is not an emergency, or 999 if it is an emergency.

The police, as well as investigating the crime, will guide you towards appropriate support services and can conduct necessary tests to identify any harmful substances that may have been used.

If you think you have been spiked and feel unwell or if you have been hurt, you might also need immediate medical help. In such circumstances, it is best to attend your nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) department. A&E departments have the necessary resources and expertise to provide the appropriate care and interventions.

If you think you may have been a victim of a sexual assault, as well as help from the police and/or the hospital, you can get support from the sexual assault referral centre.

Getting tested after being spiked

In cases of suspected needle spiking, there might be a risk of transmission of blood-borne viruses. It may be necessary to undergo tests and possibly receive post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP), which involves taking medication to prevent infection after potential exposure to a virus. 

Our practice is not equipped to conduct investigations related to spiking incidents. We do not have access to urine or blood toxicology testing (testing for what drugs you may have been exposed to). We also cannot provide post-exposure prophylaxis.

We recommend attending your nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) department if you think you need testing or treatment in these circumstances.

Last modified: February 1, 2024